Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Ready for Home

"I love China. I have been blessed with two beautiful daughters from here, and I have a great affection for the country and its people. I wish I spoke more of the language. (A LOT more). I can watch a Chinese TV show and get a lot of the idea of the show by watching the faces. Or I make up my own dialogue. 

But as lovely as living in a hotel for two weeks sounds-it is NOT. Restaurants are expensive, room service is expensive, and while we do have a McDonald's close by (in this province), it is about a block and a flight of stairs  further than I want to walk with a 5-year-old who doesn't want to hold my hand. 

It's been real, and it's been fun, and now I am ready to go home. 

Because right now is the honeymoon period. If you can imagine a honeymoon where your spouse rejects you, and ignores everything you say, and bosses you around in another language. It is as much fun as it sounds. 

I am ready to be home. For the walk around MY block, eat food from my refrigerator, and show Ana-Cherie the parents who are not constantly trying to work the logistics of when/where/what we are doing for our next meal, the joy of having a washing machine in the next room so we don't have to hang our clothes on the shower rod after mommy washes them by hand, and tap water. 

You read that right. Tap water. 

For a kid who grew up drinking from the garden hose or the sprinkler, having to police every member of my family while they are near a water faucet   brushing their teeth...well, I am sure they are sick of hearing me say, "use the BOTTLED water!"

I hope Ana-Cherie isn't disappointed when she finds out we don't live in a hotel. 

But I wonder how long it will take her to quit brushing her teeth with a bottle of water. 

I want to come back. But my next trip back, I will speak more Chinese, and all my clothes will be appropriate for one climate."


Our hotel room

Ana-Cherie asleep in the rollaway bed,  with a bottle of water, and her Rainbow Brite doll, and 2 pairs of sunglasses. And French fries. 



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Click to Visit the McCafferty School of Irish Dance